Saturday, March 21, 2009

Day +59: Ten weeks!

Wow, I stop posting every night, and the next thing I know it's been days since I last updated.

The MRI of Zoe's gall bladder revealed no change: still full of sludge, the walls still thickened. A consult with the GI docs indicated no procedures needed; the general consensus is that the resumption of feedings will eventually help her gall bladder clear itself out.

Word is Zoe gets to be discharged this coming Monday. This time I'm thinking there is a strong likelihood that it will actually happen.

Jeff and I were trained today on how to operate her feed pump that pushes formula through her NG tube. Tomorrow we will get trained in how to hook her up to her IV nutrition as she is not fully off of it yet.

The amount of stuff she is being sent home with, from a mountain of medications to be administered three times a day, to all of the medical paraphernalia required for her support--wow.

I'm just hoping that I won't start to secretly want to be back at the hospital when we really get to experience being 100% in charge of her daily maintenance. I hear it's very overwhelming at first, but that every week gets easier as medications and clinic visits gradually begin to taper.

I ran into our favorite nurse Kelly last night before tucking into bed at the hospital. Turns out she had to race her daughter (the one who had gone through BMT and is now around Day +180) to the hospital due to sudden and violent symptoms that indicated what turned out to be an infection. She's on antibiotics and doing okay now, but it was a grim reminder that immunosuppression is serious and dangerous--and that being discharged from the original hospital stay does not mean that the transplant process is over.

The coming year will be about vigilance and stamina for us. We've finished the steep hill climb portion of the marathon, now comes the long haul.

I'm feeling good about it though. Real good.

3 comments:

Martin Family said...

I had talked to Gary last week and he had told me the good news, I have been waiting for you to post it to be sure. So happy for you guys..finally going home!

Love to you all,
Mariah

Anonymous said...

Im so happy to hear about the progress!!!!! And as for the "long haul"... methinks your ZEN bricks of love, support, and joy will follow you home and supply you with what you need there as well. You have been such a beautiful family to love and support thus far; I know I will be there.
love
brooke

Laura said...

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!! You'll laugh...I know there's no comparison, but the thrill of going home (which I remember well) reminds me of how happy I was the day I finally got my braces off after 2 years. :) (ahh, if only life were as simple as it was when we were 16.)

And...compared to living in a hospital room, even with all the RN duties, immuno-disasters lurking behind every corner, and endless doctor visits, it's WAAAAAAAAAAY easier living at home!!!!